Thursday, January 10, 2013

That was unexpected.

After a marginal forecast and rain from the west sitting about the hills we finally got a launch at 3.15 pm if you please. That's the latest I've ever launched in a contest.
The task was 300 kms. They glide late in the day down here.

What a task. It turned to very strong wave off the Dunstans. In fact its probably the fastest 300 kms I've  ever done, on the long leg I never stopped. At VNE I was still going up at 2-3 knots. The problem was the airspace boundary was 200 feet above me. In the end I had to pop up, open the brakes and descend...I expect points to be deducted.

However on the downside it was a little rough in places. Especially the Lindis Pass.

I know it's hard to believve but a number of pilots finished the task and then decided to do it again. It's now 7 pm and maybe 7 to 10 pilots are back re doing their task. So that'll be 600 kms for the day having started after 4 pm. Not this camper...once was enough. And besides I'm not leading and under pressure.

BBQ tonight. Countrytime Hotel. I'm staying here for $40 per night including breakfast...and some one comes in and makes the bed each day...this is better than home.


No comments:

Post a Comment