Monday, December 27, 2010

Of Duo's, Xmas and other things...

Another Xmas has come and gone...after 3 turkey dinners I've about eaten enough to fed a small African nation. Kids seem happy...so all's well in the world. Spent Xmas day in Auckland...what a bloody mad-house.

So on the return to Tauranga on Boxing Day we swung past Matamata and managed a short flight in the Duo. I must admit that the current President and partner had been working hard to get the aircraft down and flying...well done there.

First impressions...as always I need to remind myself it flys like a glider...it's white, push the stick forward nose goes down etc etc.
However, it handles slightly better than the older Duo's (as one would hope), the flap/air brake combination is excellent (although people may over speed on approach), it is a bit of a climb to get in the front seat, landing is a piece of cake, and motor is no problem although climb rate is very very slow. Essentially the motor will get you from a blue bit of sky to a cloudy bit...I'm guessing it won't get you over the Kaimai's from Tga on a westerly day...but I guess that's what the tow plane is for.

In the speed to get operating the radio needs some work. In it's current setup I'm not sure we could operate from Tauranga. SeeYou also needs some attention...I'll do that over the coming week.

And after all that I forgot to get a photo...so here's a photo of the glider that started it all...a normal discus...

1 comment:

  1. I thermalled opposite this beast today - it looks nice!

    ReplyDelete