Monday, October 18, 2010

Yeah well...it was too good to be true...

Probably jumped the gun forecasting Monday's weather last night. Looking out the window it looks like crap and I'm guessing there is too much mositure around from yesterday's rain to allow things to get going. But I could always do a more typical glider pilot forecast...tell everyone what the day is going to do at 5pm after it's happened..."I could tell it was going to overdevelop cos my kiwifruit plants were pointing west this morning..." or some such story. However - looking way, way out to Labour weekend - it could be a boomer. Update - 1.30pm. So I got it totally wrong. It's now very windy and trying to rain. Not sure why both the NOAA Upper Air data and the RASP forecasts called it so badly. They were still calling a reasonable day at 6am this morning. First time I've struck them to be so far out line...oh well. Tuesday looks poor. Maybe late wednesday afternoon if the front clears quickly otherwise read a book time again. Wait for Friday-Sunday I'd suggest. If I can get my club to remove it's finger we might get a few club aircraft over to Piako Sat/Sun. But I would hold your collect breath...it seems mucking around in controlled airspace doing sledge rides is more TGC's cup of tea...the graphs further down the page illustrate the point...

1 comment:

  1. Yip it's raining in Hamilton right at the mo, with very low cloudbase and a lot of cloud. I'm still rekon it will clear this afternoon, question is, by what time? We were planning on flying tomorrow, but I thought today would be better. Haven't decided yet, might wait an hour or three yet before deciding. What do you rekon Wed will be like? too much moisture? wind looks to be going the right direction...
    Tim

    ReplyDelete