Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day was Cancelled...WTF

We've had plenty of days cancelled before...before the start or before the launch...but during the task??
Let me paint the picture...between the task setters and the weather forecaster (me) we massively over called the day.
We were tasked from Matamata to Kuratau back over the to Galatea and home. 330 kms.
The start was OK...but by the time we got to Whakamaru things had overdeveloped...it happens...
However 4 of us plunged into the Whakamaru/Mangakino basin knowing we might land-out...actually probably would landout.
So by the time we got into the basin with little chance of escape back to Tokoroa the task was cancelled...
I've never had that happen before.
Time to raise a protest...

We were 6 kms short of 80kms when we landed out...had the task continued I would have made the Tihoi Strip...as would have 2 others at least.


From this to....


This in 2 hours...
My log book says it's the first land-out in 10 months for me...quite the record...there are times I barely go a month without meeting a farmer...


The picture doesn't do it justice...but below the wing tip is a 30cm hole about 45 cms wide. I missed it by 2 meters in my run-out and the other glider stopped just short. Niether of us could see it until after we had got out and walked about a bit. The luck of the draw...had either glider of run into it the main wheel would have collasped...and Sailplane services would have had more work...

No comments:

Post a Comment