Sunday, November 6, 2011

Scholarship flying

Due to a lack of instructors the organisers of the "Canyoudoit" promotion really had to dredge the bottom of skills pool and use your author to do a couple of evaluation flights.
And wouldn't you know it...the best 3-4 hours of thermal flying we have seen in Tauranga this spring and I'm in the back seat of a trainer.
Good people all the same.
One pleasant young woman who had never flown before managed a climb to 4500ft feet...8 knots...take note Maurice...8 knots.

So by the time I'd got GNM rigged showers had appeared. Waited a hour, launched into more rain and spent an unproductive hour trying to get over the Kaimai's. Waffling about at 2500ft in the bush under cold dark clouds doesn't do it for me.
The Poripori strip beckoned twice but we avoided that embarrassment.

Today...looks nice now but showers are due through later today. I think that'll kill any 300km attempts.

Update (lunchtime)...forecast was bang-on...it's getting grey..raining up at the farm...oh well...
I see the Duo returned from the Taupo contest with lots of wiring, finger and power problems. As these gliders get more complex more problems arise.
Simple is usually best...maybe removing the engine and all the associated electrical components might help...
If I allow my Discus to be rented for the trans-Tasman and use the club's Duo for the Nationals (sorry Maurice I'm next in line) I'll probably remove the engine for the contest. It'll allow lower wing loadings for those light days in Matamata (most days) and we can carry lots of water to make up for those strong days or ridge days (maybe 1 per contest).
Time will tell....

No comments:

Post a Comment