Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Finally a debate, and some belated thoughts about the Supership...

Penny has dropped, the great big piece of fibre-glass is due sometime soon. So while various important people rushed about ordering things, buying money, and so on (all good stuff I'm sure) - little thought appears to have been given to "what to do when it actually arrives...".

One member (who's not actively involved) got off their bum and found a electronic version of the Aircraft Manual for propective pilots to read...should have been done months ago.

By now we probably should have helped people understand how the Nav instruments work...given that the general membership had little say in what will be installed. How many people know how to use SeeYou mobile??? How many pilots know it's limitations...even less I'd wager. Examples??? On Sunday two pilots using SeeYou (and who I think are quite skilled) entered the wrong airfield as Home...(but I will fix that guys).

Roster...God I'm not even going to enter that debate...suffice to say nothing seems to be organised yet and any pilots meeting between now and late Jan will struggle to get attendee's, what with Xmas, Omarama, Club class Nationals etc etc.

Charge out rate...I see a few people are trying to have this debate...although I see the immediate response from one important person has been - "I didn't realise you were setting the rules now Roy??"...well that's helpful...yeah right..

Ratings...hmmm...I'm lead to believe that only 2 members have a rating...actually to be strictly correct that's wrong. They have a rating on the older version of the Duo which has no landing flaps, changed weight limitations, changed cockpit and landing gear layout, changed wing plan, etc. I suspect that everyone in the club who has a Janus rating (and a bit of time clocked up...say 10 hours PIC Janus) will have the equivalent experience as would any time on the old Duo. Heavens I have 40-50 hours Duo PIC...I suspect the real issue is the ability of people to land-out. A 20 meter span into a small paddock will be intimidating.

As for the turbo bit...well if a pilot has no intention of using it why do they need a rating?? Most of our pilots don't have a water, aerobatic, competition finish, or unlimited X-country rating but fly gliders capable of these things.

Some clarity of thought is required...and quickly.

As for the potential to use the glider for a membership drive???? I have no idea what's happening on this front...some-one please tell me... I have been told repeatedly that club enthusiasm is high...this might be true but the last 3 days I turned up to fly (sunny days weekend days) very little activity has been going on. On one day no-one turned up...

2 comments:

  1. Here's a few of my suggestions:

    - Hangar it at Matamata.
    - Allow Piako members to fly it at no glider time cost as a sign of good will between clubs.

    You're welcome, glad I could help :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an excellent idea...at least you're organised over there...we thought if we spent enough money on the glider everything else would come right...we seem to have missed the point...it's not about the glider, it's about what it might do for club membership etc. Ho hum...

    ReplyDelete