Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sooner or later it had to happen...

I finally got myself organised and went flying in our Duo - GYL.
It's not new...being a rebuilt Duo after a mishap in Omarama.
However that means the wings are new, as is the canopy.
It turns out I had flown the glider in its old configuration as GYY in Omarama 5 years ago.
The 4 differences that I can ascertain between a Duo and a Duo XL are;

The roll rate is slightly (only slightly mind) slower...
The view from the back seat is slightly less...although not looking forward but rather when you try to look behind.
The lack of landing flaps does affect your approach angle and touch down speed.
The smaller wheel locks up on wet grass...

The plus is I can add heaps of water...which is virtually impossible in the turbo version.

Strong ridge lift today. We did the Kaimai Speed Challenge in 32 minutes (as best as i could tell).
187 kph.
I'll download the track later in the week.

X-country course starts this week. Lots of activity this afternoon as gliders were being rigged etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment