Sunday, September 30, 2012

Motivation

At last I got organised and dragged GNM out of the garage and went flying.
2 hours in weak thermals and some ridge lift in Matamata.
Not a day to write home about...or write to anyone about.
I spent half the flight flopping about in 0.5 of a knot close to the ground...yip that's fun.
However eventually we made the hills for a weak-ish ridge day. Wind was 10-12 knots so we got little actual ridge lift but ridge induced thermals...3 knots instead of less than 1.

BUT...I got to try out the LX V7...first impressions...
It's still cool...
Although the sound gets a bit of getting use to. Quite different from the old Cambridge.
There is so so many sound options that i've yet to sort what works best for me.
However the LX final glide agreed with the final glide on my SeeYou Ipaq.
And the averager on both also lined up...that helps.

I also manged to run both my old IPAQ and the new PNA I brought recently. The new screen is a mile better than the old trusty 3970 IPAQ. It's also far brighter than the Oudie as well...and a third the price.
So I now need a cable to connect the PNA to the V7...clear as mud???

Cumulus Soaring to the rescue...cable and shipping all for NZ$50. Great.

I nearly got to get my check ride in the new Duo GYL...but the tow plane disappeared so that will need to wait until another day.

Interestingly while I was in the Clubhouse waiting to pay I discovered a picture on the wall of the local Tow-plane BZA...taken in 1967 (when I was 3 years old)...it must have been 20 or so years old then. So here we are 45 years on and we are still towing behind 1940's technology.
I'm off to Wellington in the morning...would I rely on a DC3 to get me there???
Would I use a car built at the end of the war to get me to the airport??
Would I pay in pounds shillings and pence?
Would I eat 65 year old sandwiches for lunch??

Surely one day we will find a modern solution to this inequity????

No comments:

Post a Comment