Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Capex on GNM

Next time you peer through the canopy of GNM you will see a few changes...
The trusty Cambridge GPS-Nav and L-Nav have come to the end of their useful life.
In its place will be;


The vario is quite cool...does heaps of stuff and takes up very little space. The nano sits on the dashboard, is the GPS engine and datalogger. Both will be connected to my IPAQ...which acts as a backup datalogger.

I did think about one of these...a Butterfly Vario, but its very early in its development and I've learnt that being first with technology is risky (be a fast follower instead), and it'll cost more cows...about 2 more... Still reading the spec's it looks like a really cool piece of kit...however one is due to arrive locally this summer so I'll get to either smile or grimace depending on the outcome.

And like my old system I'll be able to run two final glide solutions at once (the LXNav vario has a basic final glide back to your start point) which is quite useful as you head out over the bush either south of Tauranga or over the Kaimai's. Can I make the otherside...or can I get back.
Usually I spend the day with one final glide fix set on a landable and aero-towable strip...Tauranga A/F, Piako, Tokoroa, Te Kuiti etc etc.

All it took was cash...

No comments:

Post a Comment