Thursday, August 19, 2010

Things are getting slightly ludicrous...

How many people do you need on the Committee of a Club to manage 50 members of which maybe 30 are actively involved? Maybe 5? or how about 7, just to spread it around a little. No one in their right mind would suggest 13, would they!!! Much to my disappointment that's exactly what seems to have happened at the local Gliding Club. I'm only surmising that someone thought you had to fill all the possible vacancies. No you don't. I guess I should be thankful that the wise people who attended the AGM didn't start appointing people to the committee who weren't even at the meeting...like me. Without doubt it time to prune the rules. A President, maybe a vice President but that role is becoming redundant, a CFI, a chief tow person, and three others. From there you can delegate or co-opt as required. I tried this once about 10 years ago...was shot down by the oldies...change is hard. Big committee just allow people to duck any responsibilities and very little gets done. Of course we could appoint every member to the committee and sit back as nothing happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment