Saturday, April 10, 2010

So...what happened???

Well the squiggly lines were right...cloud base was indeed 6000ft. Problem was the sea breeze (which I hadn't factored in...) was faster. By the time I launched I couldn't get in front of it.
Got to my old favourite strip at Burd Rd (upper Oropi) at 2300ft and hung around for a while hoping something would happen. Decided it was a hopeless cause, called Tga ATC and let them (and everybody else know) I was landing out, and then wouldn't you know it I stumbled into a weak thermal.
1 knot to start with, building to a huge 2 knots and tailing off to 0.2 knots at 3000ft. At 3000ft I could see our strip on Taumata Rd, which was closer to the convergence (but not close enough), headed towards home and landed out. Had a nice cuppa with the team on the farm before Brett arrived with the trailer.
Interestingly, I was 5-600ft above the strip when I hit the thermal...would I have fired up a turbo by then??

No comments:

Post a Comment